This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Change UI of Patch Installers?

3 replies to this topic

miguelito928

miguelito928
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 21:11

I have created an MSI installer from Visual Studio 2008 and now need to patch the product. I updated the project in VS and then created another MSI installer of the new version of the product. I then used msimsp.exe from the Windows SDK to create a .msp patch installer.

Is it possible to change the UI of the .msp patch during or after creation of the installer (for instance, add a readme screen and change the "Repair or Remove" prompt on the first screen)?

Thanks in advance.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:21

You would have to do this in the .msi before you build the patch.

miguelito928

miguelito928
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 17:09

Thank you for the response; however, I wouldn't have understood what you meant if it weren't for the following response I got on the wix-users mailing list on SourceForge:
Mike Murray wrote:
    I want to change UI elements in the .msp patch installer itself.

Response:
Patches don't contain UI, unless you've added them by changing UI elements between your target and upgrade packages. When you double-click an .msp file, MSI starts the product(s) being targeted by the patch in repair mode, so its UI is what's being shown.

Generally, patches are installed in silent mode by an external UI handler to provide a better user experience.

--
sig://boB
http://joyofsetup.com/

I'm still letting this all sink in as I consider what it means for our current situation and implementation. I will post back here if I have any follow-up questions. Thanks.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 13:41

Sorry for not being clear. Let me explain again:

A patch (.msp) is the difference between two msi files. When you install the patch, the .msp is applied ("added") to the old msi, thus resulting in a setup that is (almost) identical to the new msi you used to create the .msp.

The UI users are seeing for any operations (install, uninstall, modify, repair, patch) is always (if you install in full UI mode) coming from the .msi file. Usually there are different dialog sequences for these cases in the msi, displayed depending on conditions that involve properties like Installed or PATCH.

So if you want a special UI to be displayed during patch install, you would have to add these dialogs to your msi file and make sure they get displayed if PATCH is true.

If such dialogs are not included in your old msi you can add them in the new msi. When you create the difference between the msi files, these added dialog will get added to the .msp file.