This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

New MSI not working and taking reference of OLD

5 replies to this topic

manojkum

manojkum
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:23

Hi All,

I have created msi with .NET 2.0 framework, recently i deployed new msi with new features. earlier it was being installed by users on WinXP machine only 32 bit system.
Now the users are installing new msi ie. 4.0 version over 3.0 on their win-7 machine.
I had complied the .net code and created the new msi 4.0 which installs smoothly in win-7 machine under c:/program files/x-86/company/product name folder.
All the files are being updated while doing installations.

My problem is when the Application start running the new features are not present in running Application.
I checked the App.config.exe file where the Application is marked to connect development environment but it is connecting to Production environment not sure what making it to behave like this ?

I feel its taking the App.config.exe file from some other location which makes application to connect to Production.

The product version of application is updating correct as well as when un-installed all the files are getting removed from installed directory ?

Please help me in fixing this issue.
Thanks a lot in advance.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:35

Does it work properly if you uninstall the old version (from Add/Remove Programs) and then install the new version?

manojkum

manojkum
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:06

Hi Stefan,

No, the new msi is not working properly even after un-installing it from Add/Remove program.

The new msi is being installed but from some where its taking the references of old msi exe.config file.

Do install "Just for me" and "Install for Everyone" is causing this issue/behaviour.
As i search in the system i found only one exe.config file which is present in installed folder ie. Program file/x-86/Company/Product name.

Also, would like to inform you that when user's tried to install the application in different folder like Product name1 its working perfectly with all new changes.

Please help me in solving this issue.

Thanks & Regards,
Manoj Kumar

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:00

So it looks like your uninstall may be incomplete. Did you check this?

manojkum

manojkum
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:16

Hi Stefan,

Yes, i checked when un-install from Add/Remove Programs all the files are getting removed from the folder C:/Program files/x-86/Company/Product name.

It seems that un-install is working fine.

Thanks & Regards,
Manoj Kumar

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:42

QUOTE (manojkum @ 2011-03-28 08:23)
I feel its taking the App.config.exe file from some other location

As I said in my response to you on AppDeploy, ProcMon will show you the EXACT path to the file which the EXE is opening. You can then narrow down your investigation.

Edited by VBScab, 29 March 2011 - 08:42.

- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.