This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Desktop link for exe in msm

3 replies to this topic

delamere

delamere
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 15:09

Hello,
I have an msm which gets deployed - inside there's an exe file that's one of the deliverables.

How can I create a desktop link to this exe file?

When I try to create a desktop link it wants me to tell it the explicit target file - but I don't have a handle on this file directly, it comes via the msm!

Thanks for any help,
Marc

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 15:26

You could put the shortcut in the MSM. Otherwise you would have to specify the path to the exe, like [INSTALLDIR]notepad.exe

delamere

delamere
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 18:57

Thanks for the reply Stephan.
If I try to create the desktop link in the main install (rather than the msm), then the problem that I think I have is that when I create the link I'm prompted with the "Browse For Shortcut Target" dialog which is determined for me to point to the actual file - but it doesn't appear in my "Files and Folders" because it's inside the msm.

Is there a way to set it to a property and then set the property in script at install time?

Thanks,
Marc

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 16:08

What tool are you using? In InstallShield I think you could select "create shortcut to pre-existing file"