This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Editing a msp file

5 replies to this topic

laurentL

laurentL
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 15:28

I
I would like to edit a msp file (patch) for change the product code.

Is it possible to do such a thing ?

Regards

Laurent

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 04:34

I dont think that this is possible. I think you need to create the patch again.

laurentL

laurentL
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 15:22

It's not possible for me to create the patch again because for multiple instance, i have a specific program. It's create a new product code and put it into the msi file and after, it's play this msi. Like this, it's possible to install many instance of the programm. So when i make a patch, i don't know all the product code generated by my specific program.
So what i want to do it's :
- find the instance of my program in the target computer
- find the product code of this instance
- put in the patch
- play the patch

Any idear ???

Laurent

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 23:33

Ok, I just had a read of the msi documentation and in the patch section it has

The Summary Information Stream of the patch contains - "A semicolon-delimited list of product codes for valid targets for this patch."

"Two transforms are stored in the patch for each target database, and more than one pair of transforms can be in a patch if there are multiple targets. "

Sorry about my last reply, I now think it is possible, but if you have to support multiple packages (read - Product Codes), then you patch package could become quite large.

If you want more detail, you should read up on the MSI documentation inside the windows SDK.

Install Shield should provide functionality to create the patch for multiple product codes.

Does that help??

laurentL

laurentL
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 08:45

Thanks for your help
When you said "Install shield should provide functionality to create the patch for multiple product codes", i work with install shield developper 8 and i'm not see anything about multiple product code.
So, i'm going to read the MSI documentation inside the windows SDK.

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 08:48

Reading the SDK will give you the best overview of patching.

When i said "Install Shield should", i meant that install shield should provide this functionality, but probably doesnt... like quite a few other features