This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

An upgrade updates all features regardless of current installation

2 replies to this topic

vishnupv

vishnupv
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:19

Installscript project allow us to create Upgrades and patches. we will have to just set "UPDATE_MODESUPPORTED" to Yes, in project properties.
Also in the release configuration, we must specify the versions of the product. E.g: Supported versions: 9.01.322;9.02.411.
Say our product has installed only 10 out of 18 features from the Installer. An upgrade will only update those 10 features installed in the given PC. 

However, this feature has a bug(?) in Installshield 2008. If we do not specifiy the Supported versions, it upgrades all the 18 features regardless of current configuration. Also it sometimes creates dummy folders in the Source path where setup.exe resides.

(I found it difficult to capture. so posting it here).

Attached Images

• installshield.jpg

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 13:04

I am not sure what project type you are really talking about? You have posted in the non-MSI Installscript project section, but it sounds like you may be dealing with an Installscript-MSI. These are very different projects. Please verify what kind of project you are using.

For the record: non-MSI Installscript works ok as far as I know, but the Installscript-MSI suffers from several serious bugs that seems to have caused experienced setup developers to abandon its use altogether. With some effort you can convert it to a Basic MSI project which works much better. I have done this with several problematic setups, and it does require a significant cleanup at times.

If you are using non-MSI, I do not have experience using this project type.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 20:27

I found this article, it should show you how you can relatively quickly convert your Installscript MSI project to Basic MSI.

I haven't tested it, but it should do the job. I guess you should compile an MSI from your Installscript ISM and convert the MSI and not the ISM, but you can try both and see what works best. Would be interesting to hear the result. I don't have access to Installshield at the moment.

Edited by Glytzhkof, 18 April 2014 - 20:30.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul