This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

replacing files in an MSI

6 replies to this topic

IainDowns

IainDowns
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 14:02

I have an MSI file which I created years ago using the Visual Studio 6 Installer (or something like that - which takes a VB project and automagically makes and MSI file from it).

Now, I find that I need to replace some of the files in it. These files are for an external program that was called from my code by spawning a process, so there's no versioning issues.

Of course, I could go back to the original project and rebuild it. The problem with that is that this was YEARS ago and the software has progressed through any number of version since, so reconstituting the original code tree would be problematic. And first I'd (probably) need to build a machine with the right software on it sad.gif

So what I want to do is simply replace some files in a directory inside the msi internals.

Can this be done?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 00:38

Sounds like the file might be in the Binary table. Open your msi file in Orca to verify and replace the file. Remember to change the PackageCode GUID, too.

IainDowns

IainDowns
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:46

>>Open your msi file in Orca to verify and replace the file

Er. I thought that, but I couldn't see how to do it.

Also the files are in the File table. I can add or cut rows, but it's not clear to me that that will upload a new file.

Also why change the Package code GUID? I will never install the new version over an old version (which I *think* is the point of this).

Thanks for your reply, though!

Iain

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 18:02

Also the files are in the File table. I can add or cut rows, but it's not clear to me that that will upload a new file.

In this case, Orca is not the right tool. InstallShield and similar tools could do this.
Also why change the Package code GUID? I will never install the new version over an old version (which I *think* is the point of this).

It's a rule: "No two nonidentical .msi files should ever have the same package code."
If the new version will never be installed on a machine where the old version has ever been installed (how would you make sure this never happens?) it may work without changing the PackageCode. But changing it won't hurt anyway.

IainDowns

IainDowns
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 14:08

>> InstallShield and similar tools could do this.

I don't suppose there are any freeware tools that do this?

And for this and all your help,

thanks!

Iain

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:22

Is it me? Is it? The Google search term (including quotes)

"windows installer" +create +freeware

produced a healthy list.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 14:38

I don't suppose there are any freeware tools that do this?

A complete list of MSI authoring products - including freeware. shareware and open source - is at http://www.installsi...g/go/msidev.htm