This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

InstallShield Guidance

1 reply to this topic

xblackhand

xblackhand
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 15:40

Hi everyone,

I am new to using Installshield and have been asked to implement a custom installer with installshield.   I have asked my peers for any input with no success due to lack of experience with the tool.   I am basically trying to implement an installer that:

1.) Will draw other installers from our repository dynamically and run the chosen packages

2.) Will have show the user feedback whether their current version is installed already (team lead would like greyed out, checked boxes to show an already installed package and another way to show there is an updated version to an already installed package)

Those are the two main points my team lead would like me to hit.  

I have tried researching online but only find function definitions and no real tutorials or how-to's.

I am currently trying to use the InstallScript MSI method but am not even sure this is the best route.

Any pointers or guidance to which direction to go?

Edited by xblackhand, 23 May 2016 - 20:15.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 11:39

Don't use "InstallScript MSI" which is a mix of InstallScript and MSI. In your case I'd recommend InstallScript (without MSI) or maybe "Suite Installer".

There are functions that let you read from registry, search for files etc. to detect which packages/versions are already installed.

You can use the LaunchApplication function to run your installer packages.