This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Read and edit the ISM file before compilation

3 replies to this topic

reddy611

reddy611
  • Full Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:15

HI,

I am using install shield 10.50 professional - admin studio edition [ basic msi project]. i would like to know if this is possible with the install shield.

Before compilation i want to read the data from the external file, the external file contain the list of the compoents, after reading the external file whatever the components listed in the external file, installer should include those components to the ism file then it should compile the project.

Is this possbile ?

thanks in advance,
Prathap

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 14:49

InstallShield has an automation interface that you could use for this. Or switch the ism project file format from Binary to XML and use whatever XML tool you want. Be careful with the latter however, as you could completely wreck yor project file!

reddy611

reddy611
  • Full Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:41

Thank you very much Stefan Krueger.

I have one more issue,

I have one external file which contains the list of the components and name of the MSI File. Before compilation the installer should read the list of the components and after compilation it should copy the list of the components in to one location(Path). When we build the project it should create the MSI file with the same name as in the external file.

NOTE: We have to concentrate one thing here is at any cost we are not
going to include the compoents to the ism file.

Is it possible ?

Thanks in advance,
Prathap

Edited by reddy611, 28 June 2007 - 08:45.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:23

InstallShield will only build what's in the ism project file. You can use the automation interface to add those components dynamically to the ism.