This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

INI-file help

4 replies to this topic

Binar

Binar
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 13:35

Hello!
My name is Binar and i need some help with ini-file in Devstudio 9.
the problem im facing is when we make the first installation, our installation managers modify the ini-file and the big issue is after a while we create a new installation package and when our installation managers installs it we dont want to overwrite the modified ini-file,

My question is, how is it possible to NOT ovewrite a the ini-file which is already installed in the customers computer...

As you may understand im very new at installshield and this is my first problem im facing.. thank you and Im waiting hopefully for you answers.

have a nice day
BRs
Binar

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 15:36

In general, this is done through the File Group and its Overwrite properties option where you can say always, never, or under explicit date/version conditions.

If you need more thorough detection mechanisms though, then you can use the InstallScript function GetProfString to read the INI file content beforehand and conditionally deploy it via CopyFile.

Hope it helps and welcome to the world of install development.
user posted image

Binar

Binar
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:33

Hi!
Thank you for your answer.

I found in the files and folders meny. If you check the properti you can click the option never overwrite. i wonder if its works?

Do you know if there is any tutorials to learn installscript or some learning material?
Installscript is one of my weak sides...

BR
Binar

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 15:50

I don't develop with IS9, but the "never overwrite" property setting should certainly work as it's core functionality.

As for InstallScript, unfortunately I'm not aware of any such tutorials. I've just learned as I go and now become quite adept.
user posted image

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 15:11

Macrovision offers InstalScript learning courses, and the training manuals are also available separately.