This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

InstallShield flowchart?

2 replies to this topic

moazzamahmed

moazzamahmed
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 21:05

hi

is there a diagram (or textual discription) of the flow of when setup is run? what is run in what order? for example, is the script run before merge modules?

for example, you have the install script, and if there's any procedures in there, like OnBegin, OnMove, OnEnd etc. those are run in that order etc. There's also event driven ones and thats fine too.

however, outside of InstallScript, there's so much more going on. Like merge Modules, Custom Actions, Sequences, SEARCHES etc. etc.

when are these run? and in what order? is ONBEGIN the very first thing IS runs? I dont think so because I put a msgbox in the onbegin. Then, I put a merge module that tried to install a "bad" instance. I got the "bad instance" messgae before I got the "in onbegin procedure"

this tells me there's other stuff that goes on BEFORE install Scripts 'OnBegin' is run. does anyone know what?

thanks

Moazzam

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 21:46

I do have a poster from Installshield that shows the runtime behavior of Installscript and Basic MSI projects. It is a large poster though and paper only.

My advice to you is to not use Installscript project, but use the Basic MSI project type. There are a lot of problems with the Installscript project type.

Once you use the Basic MSI project type the InstallExecute table in the Direct Editor should tell you what you need to know about the order actions take place in.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 07:11

If you really want to see what is happening, run the install with logging on. This will tell you what runs when. You can also view the msi directory after a build and analyse that.

I also agree with Glytzhkof comments about not using InstallScript smile.gif

Basic msi are a lot easier to debug, and view their flow because they only use MSI functions and not InstallScript.