This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

HKCR installshield seems to handle this badly

2 replies to this topic

huckey

huckey
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 05:06

hmmm so far i noticed IS puts all HKCR into a single component ? yuck!!!

is there a way to make it put the HKCR items with the resource it belongs to ?

ie a dll with its associated HKCR CLSID entries. ?????

please say yes !!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 13:33

I don't think that the Repackager can tell which registry entry belongs to which DLL. But you could remove those registry entries from the repackaged project, go to the author component and tell it to extract COM information from the DLL. This would associate those entries with the correct component.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 15:10

In my opinion all repackaging is evil, there is just so many things like what you describe above. I think you won't be able to fix this problem easily unless you rewrite the file yourself. Putting so much data in single components may cause very comprehensive self-repair operations as well.

The reason repackaging is a big business is essentially because many setups don't provide a good silent installer. A silent installer is required for any corporate deployment, and if this is not provided by the manufacturer a repackaging operation is essentially the only option.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul