This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

ISPreventDowngrade preventing upgrade

5 replies to this topic

overlordchin

overlordchin
  • Full Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 18:56

So there was no ISPreventDowngrade major upgrade option in my project. I dont know if it was there and the previous guy removed it or what. So I added one in order to prevent a customer from downgrading our software. The problem is that it thinks newer versions are older. The one installed is version 6.0.0.005 the version I am trying to install is 6.1.0.014. I get the message "A newer version of your product is already installed. If you wish to install the older version please uninstall the newer version first....etc etc.."

I created the custom action and tried to manually add the functionality myself according to the steps in the help file. I used these same steps in a different project and it worked just fine. I compared the two projects and those settings are identical except for sequence number (for obvious reasons).

Any advice / input is appreciated

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:44

What are your settings in the Major Upgrade item? (from the Advanced view tab)
What is your condition on the Error Message custom action?

Note that Windows Installer only looks at the first three fields of the ProductVersion. So 6.0.0 vs. 6.1.0 is okay. But 6.0.0.005 vs. 6.0.0.014 would be treated as being the same version.

overlordchin

overlordchin
  • Full Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:54

upgrade code {0000-000 etc}
min version 5.00.01
Include min version no
max version
include max version no
Languages
exclude lang no

detect only yes
detect property FOUNDNEWERVERSION (I have also tried ISFOUNDNEWERPRODUCTVERSION)

rmve spec features
Cont on Failure no
Migrate Feature no

The error message is listed as "afterfindrelatedproducts"
and the condition attached is "FOUNDNEWERVERSION" again I have also tried the "ISFOUNDNEWERPRODUCTVERSION"

I figured the last number was being ignored which is why I rolled the version # to 6.1.0X which did not help. =/

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:11

Since your min version is set to 5.0.1 it will detect any higher version as "newer version". You need to set this to the current version, or enter:
***ALL_VERSIONS***
to have Installshield automatically isert the current version.
(Note that the latter may not work if you are using an older versions of InstallShield)

overlordchin

overlordchin
  • Full Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 13:03

It seems like that would be desirable behavior. I mean when you detect newer version you would want it to detect "any higher version as "newer version"" as you say.
If I set it to the current version or to ***ALL VERSIONS*** it no longer spits out the error when trying to upgrade. That doesn't mean it works. In fact it does not. It does not do anything. You double click the setup and nothing at all happens. A brief hourglass appears and then its gone. No crash no dialog no nothing.

Maybe I am just not understanding. In any case I appreciate your continued advice / support. EDIT *** I am using IS2009

Edited by overlordchin, 04 April 2011 - 13:04.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 15:28

At least, you're one step closer now smile.gif
Generate a log (http://www.msifaq.com/a/1022.htm) to see where it fails and why.