This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

No msi.dll in WinXP

1 reply to this topic

Moloman

Moloman
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2003 - 22:08

I'm new to this site, and I'm not a developer programmer or anything like that. I'm a civilian!

Say one happened to come across a "special" version of Windows XP pro, and it was a bit "flakey", and as a result didn't have a valid msi.dll in the Windows\system32\ folder.

How would one go about getting a valid msi.dll file.

I've downloaded InstMsiW.exe, but, not surprisingly it says its the wrong OS

I tried to install the msi file that came with Office 2000. I appeared to work, but when I started the Office installation it appeared to loop, diplaying "Gathering Information required" again and again. The Office icons appeared in the start menu, but when you click on one, it starts the installation and loops, as mentioned above.

I also tried to install Norton Internet Security 2002, and the installation started "Gathering information required", but then just closed down again after a few seconds. The same thing happens when trying to install Office XP.

Can anyone help. This probably isn't the right website to go to but you guys seem to know what your talking about, and I hope you can help. Can I get msi.dll into XP, or does it serve me right for not aquiring XP in a legal manner

Cheers in advance, Brian

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 18:04

If someone deleted system files from your Windows XP (I'd think that msi.dll is even proptected by system file protection) you should either go back to a working restore point, or restore a working backup, or re-install XP.