This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Dynamically create path variables?

4 replies to this topic

tbliss

tbliss
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 14:35

Is there any way to dynamically create path variables in IS11? I have build folders which change daily
i.e. \\ServerName\BuildFiles\ProductX\LatestBuilds\1.0.0.0160, 161, 162

The files could be copied off to another folder which has a permanent name, but if I have to make changes to the project that spans into the next day, a new build is executed and the files will change. I'd like to do something like this in the path variables so I only need to change the build number in one place:
\\ServerName\BuildFiles\ProductX\LatestBuilds\1.0.0.[BUILD_NUMBER]\Server
\\ServerName\BuildFiles\ProductX\LatestBuilds\1.0.0.[BUILD_NUMBER]\Client

This doesn't work because the path variables isn't able to resolve the propery BUILD_NUMBER. I also tried this, which is slightly less desiable
<BUILD_NUMBER> = nnn
\\ServerName\BuildFiles\ProductX\LatestBuilds\1.0.0.<BUILD_NUMBER>\Server
\\ServerName\BuildFiles\ProductX\LatestBuilds\1.0.0.<BUILD_NUMBER>\Client

This won't work because IS automatically adds a slash before the BUILD_NUMBER path which turns into ... \1.0.0.\159\Server

There are obviously work arounds to this issue, but I was hoping someone knew an easy way to do what I'm trying to accomplish. Thanks

Tim

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 18:04

Did you try path variables based on environment settings (or registry entries)?

tbliss

tbliss
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 21:42

You mean storing a value in the registry and using System Search to retrieve it? I thought that was a run-time functionality. I'm looking for a dynamic build-time setting for the paths. It may be that this functionality does not exist. I have a way to do what I want now and I only need to change the value in a couple of places. I create a base path with the number and then additional paths which build on the base path, e.g. <BasePath>Server or <BasePath>Client. So, I just change the number in the base path. That works OK for a small project, but I'm worried about larger projects where the locations that need to change start to multiply.

In the end it really isn't a critical issue, but I was curious. Thanks for the reply.

Tim

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 13:56

No, I'm talking about (build time) path variables. In the path variables view there a Type column where you can select Environment or Registry, as documented here and here.

tbliss

tbliss
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 18:20

OK. Thank you very much for the help.

Tim