This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

shortcut not uninstalled

5 replies to this topic

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:43

Two products installed (product codes are differents).
These products have a same component (but it is not shared) which is the main exe of the product installed in Installdir/productname....
This component has a shortcut (on desktop) and the display name of this shortcut differs between the two products.

When uninstalling the two products, the shortcut of the first installed product remains on the desktop but the key file (main exe) of the component is uninstalled.

The problem occurs even on a new clean machine, even after a reboot, ...

Edited by lavocat, 14 April 2006 - 10:46.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 12:01

Make sure that the EXE is not installed in the same directory for both products. Then make sure the component GUID for the EXE is different in both products. If the two products install in separate folders all component GUID's for all components should be different. Files that are installed to a common folder for both products should have matching GUID's in both setups (and preferably be installed by a merge module).
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 12:02

See my description here of the windows installer component rules: http://forum.install...showtopic=14590
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 12:15

The EXE is not installed in the same directory for both products.
but the component GUID is the same for both.

Everything work fine execpt this shortcut. Do I really need to reorganize all setups just for this shortcut?

Edited by lavocat, 14 April 2006 - 12:15.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 14:03

No offence mate, but what you described is horribly wrong, and it WILL cause other problems as well. Specifically upgrades will not work correctly.

Here is what you need to do: pick one of the products, go thorugh it and regenerate all GUIDs for components that go into different folder (you can leave the other product as it is). You MUST do this to avoid serious problems down the track. Please trust me on this one mate - this WILL save you tons of work down the track.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

lavocat

lavocat
  • Full Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 14:12

I'll follow thath way

Thank you