This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to select files to install using Installscript

3 replies to this topic

HFU

HFU
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 18:41

I am trying the Installshield 12 Evaluation Version, I`ve been writting a MSI + Installscript project, I put all files to installation on "Application Data" Tab, now I would like to select (remove files from the list) which files to install using Installscript.

Is it possible ? Could you give me some help ? Do you have a sample code ?

Tks

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 22:34

You can create mutiple features under which you can place the files. Use FeatureSelectItem to select/unselect features in script.
P.S. please don't use "InstallScript MSI" but "InstallScript" (without MSI).

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 01:07

Stefan, for the good of all, do you have enough influence with Macrovision / Installshield to get the damn Installscript MSI project type officially black listed?
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:34

Since it's out in the wild I believe they cannot remove it from their product. But for quite some time it's no longer listed on the "Common" tab of the New Project dialog and not in the "Determining Which Installation Project Is Right for You" help topic. And in help topic "InstallScript MSI Installation Projects" they say:
Because this project type uses two different engines, it is more complex than pure InstallScript or Basic MSI installation projects. It is recommended only for advanced users.
and:
InstallScript MSI setups are less desirable to systems administrators because they require the use of Setup.exe, rather than being self-contained in an .msi file, and may not be fully customizable prior to deployment. If your software will be customized by corporate systems administrators prior to deployment, Macrovision recommends that you create a Basic MSI project.

I guess that's as black as it can get, given that they once recommended it as "Standard" projct type.