This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSM - PAssing Parameters

3 replies to this topic

Mr.B

Mr.B
  • Full Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:24

Hi

I wrote an MSI project.
This Project contains one Merge Module.
I want to pass to this MSM a parameter which its value is being determined during the installation process (which means in runtime).

As I know that the Custom Action Code of the MSI runs after the the Custom Action code of the MSM.

Can I achive the following goals:

1. MSI code will run before the MSM code.
2. the MSI will pass a parameter to the MSM.

Thanks a lot

KathyMorey

KathyMorey
  • Full Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 15:08

A custom action in a merge module will run whenever it is scheduled to in the main installation, as does a custom action in the main installation.

You should be able to schedule your merge module's custom action to execute wherever you need it to execute. Take a look at the ModuleInstallExecuteSequence and ModuleInstallUISequence tables in your merge module.
Kathy Morey
Synergy Software Engineer
ProfitStars, a Jack Henry Company
kmorey@profitstars.com

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 22:22

I've seen the following method used (and did so myself):

The MSM-developer defines a property (eg. [MSM_Help_Language]), and implements its logic. The MSI developer reads the property definition, and sets this property accordingly.

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 05:34

In your MSM, you will need to code the custom action to use a global property (all capitals). You can then set this property in your main installer and the merged in custom actions from the MSM will use that.