This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

FileList Reporting

6 replies to this topic

Andy Shand

Andy Shand
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 February 2001 - 16:07

Anyone know if it's possible to use ISWi to generate a list of files, including paths, that will be installed in the client PC ?

SkipSailors

SkipSailors
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 February 2001 - 17:45

There is a thing on this site called http://www.installsi...wi/Manifest.zip that got me started.  I took the script and modified the SQL query to join File, Component, and Directory tables to get the default target directory information.

Target directory information is encoded, of course, to allow for user's selection of different roots, and such.

HTH

Andy Shand

Andy Shand
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 February 2001 - 18:28

Thanks - that did the trick.

The client is now requesting a full list of all registry changes that my setup makes - the only solution I can think of is using one of those registry snapshot utilities to record before and after, and look at the delta.

SkipSailors

SkipSailors
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 February 2001 - 18:40

How much information does your client really want?  Does he really need all that information?  Why?  Is it sufficient for him to know from you of the registry changes explicitely managed by you.  If he needs to know what registry changes MDAC makes, shouldn't Microsoft be able to tell him?

Andy Shand

Andy Shand
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 February 2001 - 10:17

I think the client would be happy with a report of the registry changes that my stuff explicitly makes. I think he's happy to trust third-party pieces such as MDAC

Generous

Generous
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 February 2001 - 11:32

May be using logging of setup process?
For debbugging my setups i use command line:
setup.msi /L*v mylogfile.log
I see all changes of target system.

SkipSailors

SkipSailors
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 February 2001 - 18:47

Also, if you are comfortable hacking at that VBScript we were talking about above, a query on the Registry table in a very similar script might do you.

You'd probably decode the contents to make it client-friendly.