This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

WinNT4 and Windows Installer

3 replies to this topic

gloom

gloom
  • Full Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 12:54

I get the following messages:
<<<
Dr. Watson for Windows NT
An application error has occurred and an application error log is being generated.
msiexec
>>>
After some experiments I get that it occurs when Windows Installer ver 2.0 installed, but my installation contains Windows Installer ver 1.10, because I build the setup with ISWI 1.5

And the next error is
<<<
InstallShield DLL Custom Action
The DLL being called is crashed.
>>

"The DLL"?? dry.gif This information is so poorly.

I haven't such errors In WIn2000/XP !

Experienced men suggest me, please!!

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 13:40

I don't use ISWI 1.5. Is there an option in the GUI to include the windows installer engine EXE that your setup needs? If so I would enable this option, rebuild the setup and try to install it again.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 14:58

I think your setup has a CA of type "call a function in a standard dynamic-link library", that either:

1) cannot be loaded on the system, because of some dependency (eg. it uses a DLL not available on the target system, or a function introduced in Windows 2000). You can test this hypothesis with the Dependency chekcer, part of the Windows NT Resource Kit (run Depends on the target system that produces the error)
2) has at least one argument of type STRING, with either the option "InOut property" or "Out property". The CA tries to assign a value that is too large for the buffer that InstallShield reserved for it. Try setting the intended property to a very large string in advance.

My suggestion: get rid of these CAs while you still can - you will experience problems during upgrades too (only if you change the params of the same function in a newer version). Convert your functions to "Call a function in a Windows Installer dynamic-link library".

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 06:24

Did you check the log file for more information, or are these error messages coming from dialog boxes?
Regards
-Stein Åsmul