This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Patch Wizard Question

4 replies to this topic

NinlarKeldar

NinlarKeldar
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 22:43

I am having problems getting the patch wizard to generate a patch that will work without an msi file.  We distribute our application as a compressed executable file.  We do this because our customers download it off of a webserver.  We are required to implement an Auto-Update in our software; therefore, I need to be able to generate comprehensive patches for our Auto-Update ActiveX component.  The problem is that the Patch Wizard requires that I specify previous msi files for it to generate the patch off of.  This is not a problem because I just added a new release to the configuration to generate the uncompressed installation with the msi file instead of the compressed exe.  The problem is that if the product is installed with the compressed exe, the patch fails to run afterwards because it cannot find the "msi" file for the product.  Why does this happen?  I made sure the Product Code and Upgrade Code GUIDs matched.  Is it because the patch is generated off of msi files and not my compressed exe?  I tried installing the product with the second release configuration (the setup.exe and the msi file) and then the patch worked.  Does anyone know how I can get this patch to work without having to install the original product with my compressed exe?  Final question, can I get a patch to run in silent mode?  Our customers have requested that our auto-update not require the user to click any buttons.  I tried the /v/qs but it didn't have an effect.

Thank you for your time,

Ryan

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 April 2002 - 11:39

Is this a Standard type project, or a BasicMSI project?

NinlarKeldar

NinlarKeldar
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 April 2002 - 07:52

Hi there,

This is a Standard Project

I have searched all over the InstallShield Knowledge Base and can't find any solutions.  Unfortunately my company has placed me in charge of getting this to work with a short deadline.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 April 2002 - 08:27

Moved to appropriate forum

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 April 2002 - 08:30

There are seveleral reasons why a patch may require the original setup files, as described in article "How to Apply a Patch Without Source" under Windows Installer -> Tools & Tips. If your original setup was packaged as self extracting setup.exe these files are not available. You would have to leave the extracted files on the user's hard disk permanently.