This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Advertised Desktop Shortcuts w/ WinXP?

2 replies to this topic

pjmateja

pjmateja
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 23:26

Here's an interesting problem:
Windows XP's logo requirements state that desktop shortcuts must be optional, and must default to not being installed.  If installing desktop shortcuts, you must default to not installing them, and provide a checkbox or some such device to allow a user to create one.

Another logo requirement (not sure if this is official yet), is that you must create advertised shortcuts to your app.  However, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to make advertised shortcuts able to be switched off/on.  Since there is no "condition" field in the shortcut table (a huge oversight on MS's part I believe), the only way to switch a shortcut on/off is to change the selection state of the associated component.  However, if I do this with an advertised shortcut, then my app .exe doesn't get installed.  Seems like a no-win situation.  

Frankly, we're considering forgetting the whole "advertised" thing anyway, as it really doesn't seem to offer much in the way of advantages.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 September 2001 - 11:28

You may be able to use the Duplicate File table to copy the (advertised) .lnk file from the start menu to the desktop.

pjmateja

pjmateja
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2001 - 16:50

Good point.  That's a great idea!

Thanks for your help.