This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Allow user to change administrative rights

2 replies to this topic

joechua

joechua
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 04:59

Hi. My installation now checks for administrative rights before initialization. If the user is not logged in as administrator, then a message pops up that tells the user to log into Administrator mode before installing.

My Problem:
Is it possible to call up the Windows function that allows the user to change login mode, without rebooting the PC?

If so, then kindly enlighten me on how to do it?  :)

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 12:34

I think there's a command line tool called runas.exe in Windows NT and above.

hambone

hambone
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 14:54

depending on the actual requirement you have it might be possible to satisfy your requirement by using the AlwaysInstallElevated policies ( for these to work you must set both the system and current user policy ).  

when set for both the current user and local system a msi and any patches/upgrades will run with System Privs.  the msi then becomes what is called a 'managed application' in ms parlance.

for custom actions it is possible to add 'security flags' to the custom action type to allow for increased security privs. for the ca.

to my knowledge the runas programme was developed in 1997 but was not included in the ms os baseline until win2000...