This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Progress Bar Ticks

3 replies to this topic

slkayser

slkayser
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 June 2001 - 15:35

I'm having trouble getting the progress bar fill all the way up during my install.  It fills to about 40 percent during the file copy process, then stops. My install completes OK, but the progress never advances past about 40%.  This only seems to be a problem when I use Custom Actions in the execute sequence. If I select a simple feature that calls no CA's in the execute sequence, then the bar fills to 100% as expected.

Does Windows Installer add some default tick count for my CA's, and are my CA's required to post progess to it?  If so, how?  I'm using mostly defered execution CA's (some with a cooresponding immediate CA to setup the CustomActionData). Some are coded in either InstallScript, and others in "C" in a .DLL.

Any info on the Progress Bar tick count will be usefull - I can't find much documentation.

Gripper4Hire

Gripper4Hire
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2001 - 20:42

Hi,

As I recall from the SDK and Bob Baker's Developers Guide... you have to "Reserve" the amount of ticks in the ProgressBar control in the "Immediate" phase of the ExecuteAction sequence. When your "Deferred Action" is called, it will will use the "reserved" ticks that you created earlier (when the install script was built).

You might have to create two custom actions (one set to Immediate Execute -- to reserve the ticks, other set to Defered Execute -- to use the ticks you reserved). I don't know how this is done on a 'built-in' single action like MoveFiles... but hey... it's Microsoft! They designed the engine, so they could make exceptions!

Hope this helps...

(Edited by Gripper4Hire at 12:43 pm on June 14, 2001)

slkayser

slkayser
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2001 - 14:46

After futher investigation I've narrowed down the problem to the entries in the Service Control table, and Serivce Install table. I have two services I install (one depends on the other). If I remove the entries that install and control these sevices, then my progress bar fills to 100%. With the entries in this table, it fills only to about 40%. With just the entries in the install table, and the control entries removed, it fills to about 75%.  

Does anyboby have any ideas about this?? It seems that windows installer is adding to the total tick count to account for the work of installing and controling services, but it never advances the progress bar.  Please help - any info will be useful.