This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Always overwrite

4 replies to this topic

Matthias1967

Matthias1967
  • Full Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:36

Hi there,

as far as I understand it, the "always overwrite" option for files in Installshield works by setting the Version field to a very high value.

On the other hand, Windows Installer documentation (File table, column Version) says:

Version
This field is the version string for a versioned file. This field is blank for non-versioned files. The file version entered into this field must be identical to the version of the file included with the installation package.

So where can problems arise if I do write a "fancy" version into the File table, as InstallShield obviously does?

Best regards,

Matthias

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 00:52

I never knew install shield had an option to always overwrite.

I would open the built MSI up with ORCA to double check what install shield puts in this field just to be sure.

Matthias1967

Matthias1967
  • Full Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 16:04

Hello luke,

InstallShield 12 has this option. I am not sure with which version it was introduced.
In the resulting MSI package, the file version for this file is set to 65535.0.0.0.

I am actually wondering whether this trick may cause side effects (because Windows Installer documentation says you should not do this).

Regards

Matthias

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 21:08

Since the installed version is always "too old" you might get repair problems.

timstspry

timstspry
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:51

I think in certain circumstances it is o.k. to do so. I had to install a couple of files that had a version lower than the currently installed version because our developers needed to fallback to a previous version while correcting some reported errors. This was the only way I could force those files to be installed over files with a higher version. We haven not noticed any undesired effects.

Tim