This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Why can't non-admin users open application?

6 replies to this topic

ZK123456

ZK123456
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 17:27

Hi

I've packaged Visio 2000 using Wise for Windows. When I run the MSI under an administrator, it installs fine. Any user with administrator privileges can open the application. But any user who does NOT have administrative privileges CANNOT open the application.

It starts by giving a brief Windows Installer configuration message, and freezes at the Visio pop up box you see just before the application opens.

I am running the command "msiexec /i package.msi ALLUSERS=1" when I am logged in as administrator.

This should install for all users.

Any ideas why this problem is occuring?

Thanks
ZK

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 22:54

You probably have some HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry entries that should be HLEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

ZK123456

ZK123456
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 March 2002 - 16:17

What I think is happening is that Visio is trying to write some registry entries under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, but as the user who is logged on a the time is not an administrator, they do not have access to write entries under HKLM.

Is it to do with MSI permissions?

Does anyone have any ideas, please?

Thanks
ZK123456

Dynas

Dynas
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 March 2002 - 18:41

This is also happening to me. The VERY strange thing is if you have admin rights on the machine and open the app the installer comes up ONCE and then never comes up. If you then remove that same user from the administrator group and add him to the power users group it will pop up installer again!

Even if you are the admin who installed the software and you drop to power user it will fail!

If ANYONE has any ideas that would be great!

PS: Was using the free software from 2000 server advanced. John.Burke@nbtel.nb.ca

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 March 2002 - 20:38

Looks like an auto repair is triggered, e.g. to create HKCU registry settings. The Windows event log should give you a hint about the auto-repair. You can also globally enable MSI logging using a registry entry (see http://www.msifaq.com for instructions) to see what's going on.

BTW why are you repackaging Visio? I thought it comes as MSI package?

Dynas

Dynas
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 March 2002 - 20:44

Just for the record this is occuring for all packages for me.

Not VISIO

benjaminnel

benjaminnel
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 23:59

Visio actually rwrite quite a few keys when it is run up. Use Regmon to see which keys need to be permissioned. There are quite a few of them. Good luck