This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How does REINSTALLMODE work for a patch?

1 reply to this topic

rbrinda

rbrinda
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 00:27

I would like to know what MSI engine does during installation of a minor update when we force it to install with REINSTALLMODE=amus and REINSTALL=ALL? The status message in the progress dialog says its "copying files..." before even applying the patch files, so i want to know how this process works when we change the REINSTALLMODE from command line? Does the msi engine first reinstall everything from the original source media and then apply the patch?

Also, i opened the msi file in Orca, clicked on "View Patch", selected the .msp file and in the File table, i find most of the SequenceNumber being changed even for the files that are not getting patched? Why would the .msp file change the sequence number of files that its not patching?

Can someone please explain this?

Thanks in advance.
-rb

Pittyman

Pittyman
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 16:10

I think the problem lays with REINSTALLMODE = amus

a = Force all files to be reinstalled, regardless of checksum or version.

so when you are applying your minor upgrade, it is reinstalling all files, you might rather try REINSTALLMODE = omus (which is the default)

since o = Reinstall if the file is missing or is an older version

-Dan