This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

unused component cause error -6103

4 replies to this topic

huyton

huyton
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 04:08

Hi,
I'm trying to create build that picks up different sets of files depending on the release flag passed in to IsCmdBld. To do that, I have components that are flagged by the release flags. I encounter the -6103 error for the components are supposed to be excluded by the condition because the corresponding files do not exist. Any advice please? I'm using InstallShield Developer 7.0 Service pack 4

Loading File table
** Error: -6103: Could not find file

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 08:29

Have you tried looking at the Install Shield FAQ page and searching for your error number?

Are you sure that your condition is correct? Maybe it is not evaluating the condition correctly?

rep_stosd

rep_stosd
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 20:04

hi huyton,

i encounter _exactly_ the same problem, that's why i registered here, actually.
i use IS developer sp4, too.
if you start a new, dummy project from scratch and create release flags for features, everything works fine. first i figured it might be a condition problem, too, but the components i try to include aren't having any condition - it happens with language independent files, too.
anyhow, conditions are evaluated at runtime of the setup, not at build time. therefore release flags. in some google groups i found people had problems with spaces next to their release flag listings - i.e. "demo, manual" instead of "demo,manual".
yet other people had problems with product configuration flags and release flags ( check 'prepare for distribution' view -> releases -> product config and release).
anyhow, even resorting to the use of a either product configuration or release flags didn't help.

for now, i lost my patience. i'll have to rebuilt the installation, and this time i will use wix (wix.sf.net), and not this dreaded installshield. it's embarassing they _sell_ you an application without undo and wheel mopuse support, anyhow.

regards,

rep.

rep_stosd

rep_stosd
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 21:11

yo, seems like i found the solution -

as stated in a different thread:
<snip>
haha!

go to
http://community.ins...&highlight=6103

- the last hint worked.
remove all "use system property" flags and the "vital" flags from the files in advanced views->components, for each component->files

don't know if it's bad practice to remove the vital flag from files, but the releases finally build w/o errors.

regards,

rep.
</snip>

it was quite a hassle to go through 40 components, but it was faster than rebuilding the whole lot.

so, for the first time _ever_:
tongue.gif

concluding, installshield disappointed me in so many ways - expensive, clumsy to use, not at all intuitive - that i still advocate a change to other tools.

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 00:17

Just a quick addition - you can use the Direct Editor to edit the flags directly instead of going through all of the components one by one.