This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Product upgrade

2 replies to this topic

vinise

vinise
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:32

Hi all,

I'm using installshield 2013 Limited edition and i was wandering if it was possible to make product upgrade with it and how?

I've look and tried many things but without success.

Each time a build a new msi with a new product version and try to execute it i get a message "Another version of this product is already installed..... "

I've tried many configurations with product version and upgrade paths but without success.

If i change product code (keeping upgrade code unchanged) it install a second time the software without uninstalling the old one

Is there a good tutorial to make upgrade with installshield?

Thanks in advance

Edited by vinise, 14 January 2014 - 12:06.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:52

To create a "Major Upgrade" you need to change the ProductCode (as you already did) and add an entry under Media > Upgrades (or maybe it's called "Prevoious Versions" or similar, or maybe it doesn't exist in the Limited Edition, I'm not sure).

To create a "Minor Update" you need to keep the ProductCode unchanged (like you did in your first try) but run the msi with this command line:

msiexec /i your.msi REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus

In Professional and Premier editions, InstallShield's setup.exe can do this for you (so users don't have to enter the above command line), but I'm not sure if that functionality is included in the Limited Edition.

RRoy565

RRoy565
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 21:42

Hi sorry this is my first post and this probably is the wrong place to post this  but I'm not sure where I'm supposed to post this. So sorry again in advanced. So I'm dealing with InstallShield 2011 and have and installation where the ini files of our previous version were not set to not be overwritten, which means for our newest installation our customers will lose all their presets etc. Were wondering if there is anyway possible to execute a setup.exe to copy /move (or just move) the ini folder to a new location before uninstall of the old files so we can later retrieve them for the new installation. But we need the setup.exe to be a part of the installation and not a separate entity and have it run before uninstall. Previous attempts of xcopy worked until uninstall started and then still proceeded to erase them (even though we moved the folder).