This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Files are not updated

9 replies to this topic

Ralf

Ralf
  • Full Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 14:50

Hi,
I have installed a software with Setup No. 1 (Using Setup.exe with "CmdLine=" in SETUP.INI. )

I created Setup No. 2. This setup includes the same components and features as in Setup No. 1. No component or features were added. Only the versions are newer. I only changed the package code and product version. In SETUP.INI the CmdLine-Parameter was set to REINSTALLMODE=vemus REINSTALL=ALL for small update.

When I start Setup No. 2, some of the files are not updated, even if the existing version is older. I don´t know what´s wrong with the Setup No. 2. But I´m not quite sure if perhaps the key files have changed. If so what are the consequences? Can I get from the old msi-file some informations (f. ex. the old key files )?

Thanks
Ralf

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 12:49

You should not change the key file of a component. You can see the key files of the old version by opeing the msi file in Orca

Ralf

Ralf
  • Full Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 17:08

Hi Stefan,
my answer is quite late, because I worked on other projects in the meanwhile. But now I have to find a solution for the problem with Setup No. 2. It is necessary that the Setup No. 2 updates all files correctly.

I checked the keyfiles in both Setups (1 and 2) with ORCA. There is no difference between Setup No. 1 and 2. As an additional remark, I use ISWI 1.10.

Any idea, what´s wrong with my new Setup No. 2?

Thank,
Ralf

rmadassery77

rmadassery77
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 19:00

I had the issue while creating patches, you could try with REINSTALLMODE=AMUS, but this is forceful deletion of prev files and installation of new ones. But can guarantee that only new files will remain !!
Rajiv Madassery
Galway Scripting Center
Digital GlobalSoft Ltd.
(Subsidiary of Hewlett-Packard Company)

Ralf

Ralf
  • Full Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 April 2003 - 18:17

Thank you Rajiv!

First I had changed only the package codes of the included merge modules. But this did not solve the problem completely. But when I used the "a"-parameter for REINSTALLMODE (instead of the "e"-parameter) the new setup worked properly

Joerg Hoffmann

Joerg Hoffmann
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 07:53

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2002-10-08 12:49)
You should not change the key file of a component. You can see the key files of the old version by opeing the msi file in Orca

That seems to be my problem.
I think I've changed the keyfiles of some components. sad.gif

My question is:
How can I find the old keyfiles with ORCA.
(I never worked with ORCA before.)

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 08:55

You can open the old .msi file, either in Orca or import it in InstallShield Developer. In Orca, go to the Component table. There you'll see a column "key" which has a cross reference to the File table. If you import the .msi file in Developer you will see the regular Developer IDE where you can see the key files in Component view.

Joerg Hoffmann

Joerg Hoffmann
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 09:16

Hi, Stefan,
thank you for your fast answer.

Now I found my problem:
In the old setup was no key file defined for some components.

Perhaps you can help me again with my problem:
1. How can I update the components (add new files/refresh existing files)?
2. How can I add a new component to the target computer (new folder with new files)?

Thanks
Joerg

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 10:37

If no key file is defined, the folder will be used as key.

Adding a component depends on the MSI version. Please see the "Update Rules" at http://www.installsi...en/msi/tips.htm

If you are using Developer 8 see under Distribute -> Upgrades. There is some documentation, a view to define updates, and an upgrade validation facility.

Joerg Hoffmann

Joerg Hoffmann
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 12:27

OK,

I did all steps I found at your "Update Rules".
But it has no effect.

There is no different if I add:
CODE
CmdLine= REINSTALLMODE=voums REINSTALL=ALL

or as you suggested:
CODE
CmdLine= REINSTALLMODE=voums ADDLOCAL=NewFeature REINSTALL=OldFeature1, OldFeature2

No new folders are added.
Not all file was updated. Only my apps exe and some help files and dlls becomes new.
But all unversioned txt-files and one dll-will stay at the old versions.

I get another problem:

All files wich was updated with my new setup will be removed if I uninstall my updated app.
All other files which came with the old setup are still there.

Running the new setup on an other computer without the old version works fine.

So the very ugly solution would be to tell our customer to deinstall the old version
before installing the new one.

Why did we pay so much money to IS, when I have to spend more time
for creating the setup then to impleneting the updates to my apps code.

I'm at the point thinking about my own setup tool unsing WinZip or something else.

Jeorg