This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSIEXEC /L without Logfile

Best Answer Stefan Krueger , 09 April 2014 - 12:26

Windows Installer does auto generate random log file names in the temp folder if you enable logging via the registry entries resp. group policy. But I have never even tried to use the /L*v option without a file name, so I don't know if it ever worked. But according to the documentation, specifying the log file is not optional.

Go to the full post

11 replies to this topic

Johannes John

Johannes John
  • Full Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:16

Hello,

it seems to be, that newer versions of the Windows Installer don't like the "/L" parameter without logfile name.

The reaction is the display of the legal parameters.

Does someone knows more?

Thanks and regards

Johannes

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:15

That's news to me, and I don't think it is the case. If I were you I would try the Wise Command Line Builder that I describe here: http://stackoverflow...a-and-cancel-it and see if there is something wrong with the command line you are using.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Johannes John

Johannes John
  • Full Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:27

Thank you Glytzhkof,

it happens in the DOS box with

msiexec /i {product.msi} /l*v

with Windows ® Installer. V 5.0.7601.17514 on W7

Regards

Johannes

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:31

msiexec.exe /I Package.msi /QN /L* "C:\msilog.log"

Edited by Glytzhkof, 04 April 2014 - 11:32.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Johannes John

Johannes John
  • Full Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:55

Thankyou Glytzhkof,

if i read your answere correct, you confirm the behaviour?

The workaround is not the problem.

My problem is, that the default behaviour of the Windows Installer has changed and allready delivered installations fail. That's not nice.

Regards

Johannes

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 13:11

I have not noticed any changes. If you used a non-standard MSI command line that happened to work, this could trigger an error in a new version of Windows. But I have never seen a non-standard MSI command line that worked at all. It is a pretty tight command line engine.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Johannes John

Johannes John
  • Full Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 13:56

Is my command line

msiexec /i {product.msi} /l*v

a non-standard MSI command line?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 22:14

Yes, by the looks of it you lack the path specification for the log file. The /l*v section. Perhaps this defaults to the tmp directory or something, but I have never seen that or tried it. Such default behavior can change in Windows versions and shouldn't be relied upon.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:11

Strange as it may seem, Windows Installer is not psychic and cannot determine into which path and with what name you would like the log file. It insists on you telling it. Outrageous, eh?

Edited by VBScab, 10 April 2014 - 06:08.

- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 16:02

For all I know msiexec.exe could default the log to the temp folder with a random file name, but it never did as far as I know. MSI uses the random name for the local installer cache though. But as I said, I have never seen msiexec.exe work without a full path to the log file. Nothing in Windows is psychic, but sometimes automagic is available :-).

Edited by Glytzhkof, 06 April 2014 - 16:03.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:26   Best Answer

Windows Installer does auto generate random log file names in the temp folder if you enable logging via the registry entries resp. group policy. But I have never even tried to use the /L*v option without a file name, so I don't know if it ever worked. But according to the documentation, specifying the log file is not optional.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 13:25

Yes, that's true - this is generally enabled on most SOE (Standard Operating Environment) for desktops  in larger companies. Here is a description of how to enable this: http://support.micro...kb/223300/en-us

Regards
-Stein Åsmul