This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Repackaged MSI removes NetworkProvider RegistryKey

2 replies to this topic

dreamsurfer141

dreamsurfer141
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 17:09

Hi All,

I'm currently trying to repackage Netmange's ViewNow software using MacroVision\InstallShield's AdminStudio v7.0.

I'm only installing two components of the package - Telnet and NFS InterDrive

The Telnet part repackages fine. But the NFS InterDrive causes a LSSASS.exe error when the package is uninstalled and prevents the workstation from booting. After a bit of troubleshooting I managed to find what causes this problem. The application's setup routine modifies the following registry values:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\HwOrder\ProviderOrder
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\Order\ProviderOrder

When the package is uninstalled the registry key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider is removed.

How can I leave the keys on the system?

The Install Only option is greyed out on the context menu. I've also tried to the delete then re-add the keys by importing them which then displays the + sign next to the registry entry indicating that it will Install Only but after testing this the key is still removed.

My knowledge is very much limited when it comes to repackaging so verbose replies would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

dreamsurfer141

dreamsurfer141
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 18:28

This has been answered here:

http://www.appdeploy.../tm.asp?m=13770

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:12

As I am no doubt you are already aware: repackaging MSI setups is almost in every case a very bad idea.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul