This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

install file under every user profile

7 replies to this topic

vaqueros

vaqueros
  • Full Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:51

I want my setup to install a file to every user profile in Windows. Right now I can only specify [UserProfile]\Application Data\Microsoft\... but I want the file to be copied to every user profile, not only the logged user. Please tell me how to do this.

Thanks in advance.

antyagi

antyagi
  • Full Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:01

As far i understand MSI allows a file to be installed only at one location.

May be you can install the file to AllUsers profile and then thru a CA copy it to where you want.
  ankur tyagi

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:32

The most reliable way to do this is to install the file to a per machine path such as "Program Files\Application\UserData" and then have the application EXE copy the data down to the user profile on launch.

It is also possible to do this by setting a user profile install path and then a registry key path, but this is not recommended.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

vaqueros

vaqueros
  • Full Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 20:41

The thing is that I'm not really installing an application, just a few files. I want to install new user dictionaries for each user profile on the machine. One suggestion was to use DuplicateFiles but I don't know how to retreive the path for each user profile.

Thanks.

IFRobert

IFRobert
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 21:00

Try adding an ALLUSERS with a value of 1 in the property manager. You will get a warning on compile, but this works for me.

vaqueros

vaqueros
  • Full Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 14:51

Adding ALLUSERS=1 to Property Manager and running the msi with the ALLUSERS=1 line did not work. Where you able to do it? What did you have for the file's Destination path?

Thanks.

IFRobert

IFRobert
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 14:41

vaqueros

Actually, the only file that is installed for all users is the shortcut on the desktop. Without the ALLUSERS = 1, the shortcut only shows up for the administrator.

Robert

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 01:51

I would use ActiveSetup and a batch script for this:
http://www.etlengine...activesetup.txt
Regards
-Stein Åsmul