This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Execute MSI from Installshield

2 replies to this topic

finding_this_difficult

finding_this_difficult
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 03:35

I am building an installer that needs to call another MSI, but more specifically I need to calll it as a silent install. When I try the Custom Action for executing another MSI if I pass /qn it says another instance of MSIEXEC is already running and I need to wait until that install is complete. If I remove that condition it is no longer a silent install, but it does call and execute the installer. Anyone have any ideas why this is or how to get around thist?

Thanks,
A

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 16:28

Best option is to run the two setups one after the other by launching them from a custom written setup.exe.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 23:07

Use a Custom Action type 7 or 23, which are run silently. Actually they're not completely silent, because they also update the progress bar (of the parent install).
BTW the use of nested installs is not always the best solution, you need to add extra logic on uninstall and repair. Patching the nested install is another issue.