This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

XPSDrv print driver redistributable

3 replies to this topic

ReleaseMe

ReleaseMe
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 15:40

Hi all,

Anyone had to include the XPSEPSC-x86-en-US.exe Microsoft redistributable in their MSI yet? We have a need for the latest UNI*.dll files in our product and this package sems to do what we need. Common knowledge for MSI is to avoid nested installs, but there is no merge module for this package. Do I need to break "Best Practices" to bundle this into our installer and execute with a Custom Action anyhow? Anyone been through this one yet ?

Thanks!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:13

Is XPSEPSC-x86-en-US.exe a MSI based installer?
To avoid nested installs, you could use a setup.exe that rus the two setups in a row.

ReleaseMe

ReleaseMe
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 13:50

Hi Stefan,

The .exe is from Microsoft and is a self extracting cab file. And, for the most part appears to not have any uninstall-remove capabilities once delivered to the OS. Would the exe format qualify under the same nested install "no-no" as another msi or are exe's acceptable? Using a setup .exe (currently we're just using the InstallShield generic one) could cause us some deployment issues I would think. Most or out Active Directory deployement customers (who simply get our msi from the cached location after extracted from the etup.exe) would then have to have a separate deployment for this redist. Active Directory seems to prefer the native .msi format more as opposed to the .exe's. Wouldn't this be correct ? I'd prefer to keep our installer kit as close to what it is now as possible. So given the deployment considerations - is launching the .exe silently as a custom action (nested) a viable option, or is the bootstrapper the more accepted way ?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 13:55

The no-no only applies to nested MSIs, i.e. calling one MSI from another MSI. If the XPS driver setup is not MSI based (which I guess it isn't) then you can call it from a custom action.
Regarding the active directory deployment issues: that's correct. However I think that in some cases adminstrators would PREFER to install drivers or (more importantly) runtimes (like MSDE) separately and knowingly, because they have to service them, too (think security updates).