This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Changes installed files using Modify installation.

3 replies to this topic

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:55

Hi.

I have a scenario wherein i have to replace files during a modify operation.
In my product we have an exe and its installed as part of the complete setup during the installation and when we upgrade the functionality we don't provide minor upgrades instead in the maintenence phase we expose a feature which will replace this exe with the new file. Now whenever a change in exe is done we provide a new setup and using the modify option the customer has to upgrade his exe.

Now inorder to achieve that i created a component and adding the exe file to this component and set this as the key file of the component and also i enabled the file property to "Always overwrite" , now what i expect is when the customer uses the modify option to upgrade the exe it has to replace the old file with the new one, but currently it fails to do so. Can anyone please suggest me how to achieve this. Its a very critical feature for us.

Regards.
Balaji

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:46

Since you send the customer a new setup anyway, you could make this a small mor minor update instead of adding the new version of the exe to a new feature. I don't understand why you are trying to tweak the MSI functionality.

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 15:00

Hi Stefan,

The only reason for tweaking is we provide upgrades every week , and we dont want to provide minor upgrades each time hence this process. Can you please help me how to achieve this.?

Regards,
Balaji

balaji4u

balaji4u
  • Full Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:38

Hi Stefan.

Looks like we will provide a minor upgrade for each release, thanks for your feedback.

Regards,
Balaji