This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Use the Source, Luke!

7 replies to this topic

ewwallace

ewwallace
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 20:45

I know Windows Installer keeps some sort of local copy of the MSI database, but when the app begins to self-heal it needs the orginal source location.

Is there a way (within the MSI) to have the system keep a complete local copy of the source? I swear I saw this somewhere, but can't find it now...

TIA--   ~eric

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 11:30

It keeps a copy of the msi database, but for a repair it needs the actual application files (either uncompressed on your CD, or in the CAB files). You can copy the complete CD contants on the user's hard disk to avoid this. (Use a self extracting exe package for ths purpose)

ewwallace

ewwallace
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 15:05

Thanks... My boss was hoping that there might be some easier trick, but that's okay. Since I make the packages as all-in-one MSI's, I will strongly suggest that they should use Tivoli to first copy the files to a local directory for safe-keeping, then run the installs from there.

~eric

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 22:26

You can also specify that Installshield should cache the entire installer on the system in the [WindowsFolder]Downloaded Installations folder. This is also not too nice, but I think this is the best thing to do for "non corporate users". It would probably be good to add an option to NOT cache the installer for corporate use (where you have to trust that an administrator knows how to set this up so users have access to the original source media on the network).
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

mile.varicak

mile.varicak
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 14:30

Application needs source to self-heal if it needs to copy some files. If change is just in registry application should be able to self-repair without the external source, using the cashed MSI file. If application copies some files to the user profile it will try to do that when new user logs in.
You don't necessery need to have all the files localy copied. You can find out what is needed by copiing file by file when application self heal. It will ask you which file is looking for. Once you figure out which files are necessery for self healing process you can include them together with the package. You have to also tell Windows where the source is.

AbSoLu

AbSoLu
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 11:04

Maybe it could be interesting for you to store the MSI packages somewhere on your PCs' LAN, and make the SOURCELIST property point on this path. Thus, you won't have to use the packages from where you installed them !

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 02:50

For corporate deployment the best option is probably to make and admin image of the setup, make it available on a network share and then run the installation on each client pc (either advertised or full). Provided the location on the network share remains available, windows installer should always be able to perform all repair/add/self-repair operations (even when you don't cache the setup on the system).

Edited by Glytzhkof, 18 May 2004 - 02:51.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 02:55

I always feel that the needs of corporate and home users are very different. Whereas the corporate users have administrators who will do all the work home users need to have most things automatic. Hence I usually end up creating two different setups, one for home users and one for corporate users. The main differences between the setups are usually:
  • Corporate setup does not cache installer on system
  • Corporate setup is not patchable (often no point, administrators seem to prefer working with full packages
  • The corporate setup is packaged differently depending on the needs of most corporate users (often don't wrap things in setup.exe, but deliver runtime files separately - windows installer engine, installscript engine etc...)
  • The corporate setup has some documentation enclosed listing what is recommended not to change
  • etc...

Regards
-Stein Åsmul