This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Run setup.exe, run application, "Fatal error"

2 replies to this topic

willphelps

willphelps
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 06:50

I'm moving an app from Visual FoxPro v6 to v8 sp1 runtime. Since the installs will be done from a network, not from CDs, I (stupidly) thought I could just copy the support library (DLL) files to the client PC, but I finally gave up on that and created a setup.exe with InstallShield Express. But after I create and run the setup.exe, I have two problems:

1) It can’t find the support library where InstallShield puts it (…common files\microsoft shared\vfp). But if I then manually copy the DLL files from there to the app’s folder, it works...

2) ...except that it does NOT work for one particular user. When that user logs in and runs the app they get “Fatal error: Exception code=C0000005…VFP8R…”. (VFP8R.DLL is the main support library file.) I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled while logged in as the admin and while logged in as the user. The “problem” user has the same security settings as all the other non-admin users, including both the LAN and the local domain. These are W2K machines with roaming profiles, and, yes, the problem also “roams” with the user. Some of my initial (non-InstallShield) experiments were conducted while logged in as this user, FWIW. I get the same problems with a simple "hello world" application, so it isn't a bug in the application. It crashes before the app fully loads -- I'm pretty sure of this.

Any ideas?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 14:09

You may be able to set an AppPath to have your application find the file in common files. Look in the help file for a description of how to do this.

You have a single user experiencing a problem, which in addition roams with the user. This should pretty much guarantee that the problem exists in that user's profile. He may have COM servers registered in his HKCU\Classes, faulty paths, a prior installation of this software that conflicts with the new one or similar. The easiest would probably be to give this user a new profile and manually move files he wants to keep to the new profile.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 14:13

Maybe doing some database maintenance could also help, rebuild indexes etc..
Regards
-Stein Åsmul