This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Is there an easy way to call a .NET dll?

5 replies to this topic

anarres

anarres
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 15:17

Hi, I need to call an encrypting function in the .NET framework and was wondering if there was an easy way to do this.

Since the app we are installing requires the .NET framework I can be sure it is on the machine already, and if I could call it from a custom action it would make my life much easier.

I know I can wrap it in my own dll and use that as a support file, but I would much rather not have to do this at all. I only need to call 1 function in the .NET framework and it seems overkill to have to write a straight wrapper dll.

Thanks! smile.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 19:32

MSI can call installer classes in a .NET assembly

anarres

anarres
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 11:13

Thanks Stefan! smile.gif

All I need now is how. Do you mean adding it as a normal custom action that calls a dll? Will Installshield automatically find the .NET dll?

I will try this, I have looked in the help and can't find anything talking about calling .NET classes. When you say it can call "installer" classes I don't understand...

Edited by anarres, 14 April 2004 - 11:15.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 20:59

Which InstallShield version are you using? I think this was added in Developer 8 (or 7 maybe?)

anarres

anarres
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 10:17

I'm using IS DevStudio9 SP1.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 14:15

If your assembly includes a Installer class derived from System.Configuration.Install.Installer you can set the ".NET Installer Class" option to yes in the component properties.