This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Testing on Multiple Platforms

1 reply to this topic

Brenda

Brenda
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 18:33

We are considering purchasing virtual machine software to use in testing installations of our CAD software.  One question which has arisen which I have not yet found an answer to is:  If you are concerned primarily with whether or not all registry entries are made correctly and whether or not all necessary files are included in the installation, is it necessary to test the different versions of an Operating System?  Should we, for example, test
both XP Professional Edition and XP Home Edition, or would testing XP Professional Edition be sufficient?

Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.

vuttex

vuttex
  • Full Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 January 2003 - 09:51

My answer is no!

It will be sufficient to test your setup on one of the version of XP. I have worked five year as test engineer and installation manager and I have never used the "home" edition as a testcase. Testing is time comsuming, it will be impossible to test all platforms, home/pro. editions, workstation/server with all service packs as well. My suggestion is to test on NT4 with SP6 and IE6, W2K Pro and Win XP Pro.