This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

VC 8.0 runtime merge modules with patch

4 replies to this topic

kirann_hegde

kirann_hegde
  • Full Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 15:01

Hi,

I have been banging my head on this problem for few days now.Time is running out for me and i have to get this thing working.

Description of the issue:

I have an InstallScript MSI project built using IS 11.5 Professional edition.
I had to install the VC 8.0 runtime dll's as part of a patch.

I included the merge modules provided by Microsoft (version :8.0.50727.762) in the patch. I view the patch(.msp) using Orca and i find that all the runtime dlls along with the manifest, policies etc are present in the patch and marked for patching.

However the runtime resources are not completely installed by the patch.
I generated a verbose log for the update process and it seems to indicate that the components beloinging to the runtimes get installed properly.

I try to restart some services which utilize these runtimes in "OnPatchUIAfter" .
event.When i try doing that the installer hangs.
The event logs suggest that some of the runtime components were missing.

Detection of product '{EFDDCCB6-FD60-476B-9002-487D919F3D84}', feature 'CC_CONSOLE', component '{63E93C0A-0D16-5C40-C01F-C8B3B9A1E18E}' failed. The resource 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\Installations\x86_policy.8.0.Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.93_x-ww_51e92910\downlevel_manifest.8.0.50727.93\' does not exist

Orca reveals that the above registry key is marked for install during an update.

However if install the runtimes by running the runtime installer directly(http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en) before the update is run,
my update installation is smooth and does not get hung.

I have installed these merge modules during an update earlier in a Basic MSI project and it seemed to work. However i just cant get it working in an InstallScript MSI project.

I am also attacing the log files for your reference.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Questions:
1)Are the merge modules provided by Microsoft faulty?
2)Is the sequence of starting the services wrong.

I have two zip files of logs to attach. I can only attach one now. I will attach the other one in the next thread.

Regards,
Kiran Hegde

Edited by kirann_hegde, 29 August 2008 - 16:50.

kirann_hegde

kirann_hegde
  • Full Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 15:04

Attaching the remaining log files for the problem

On an additional note, because of the missing runtime resources, a self healing gets triggerred at the end of the install and the installer hangs.The self healing is not visble to the end user.However msiexec processes get kicked off in the background.

Edited by kirann_hegde, 29 August 2008 - 16:50.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 21:19

Lots of log file but I don't know which is which. Do you see any SELMGR errors in any of them?

kirann_hegde

kirann_hegde
  • Full Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 23:52

Hi Stefan,

Well they all belong to the same installation. The only way you can know is by the time stamp of the log files. The time stamp would give which log file was created first.

I do not see SELMGR errors though.
In the log file named MSIa89f5.LOG i see entries such as SELMGR: Component 'downlevel_manifest.8.0.50727.94.63E949F6_03BC_5C40_FF1F_C8B3B9A1E18E' is a new component added to feature xxxx

Apart from this there is no occurrence of SELMGR in any of the log files.

This has been bothering me for quite some time and i am the recieving end to get this thing working.

Regards,
Kiran Hegde

kirann_hegde

kirann_hegde
  • Full Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 18:16

Anybody can help me here? unsure.gif