This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

elevated privileges, elevated complexity, ...

5 replies to this topic

groovyponens

groovyponens
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 18:15

hello,

I want to configure my standar project installer to run with 'elevated privileges', but I haven't achieve it yet. I've followed all the steps written in installshield documentation:

Q105546: "How is Script Handled in Setups Run With Elevated Privileges"
Q105140: "Creating an Installation that Always Installs Regardless of User Privileges" (by means of 'Group Policy', because adding registry key don't work for me).
Q106556: "Allowing standard projects to run with elevated privileges".
(link: http://support.insta...m/kb....xxxxxx)

and i have read a lot of forum threads but at this moment, my installer fails at start if I install it with a non-admin user. Installer can't write in c:\winnt\Download installations\{<anyguid>}\mymsiname.msi.

I think I followed all the steps correctly, have anyone done it and can help me or give a tip?

P.D. My version is 7.04.

hambone

hambone
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 14:53

have you tried setting both the hkln and hkcu policies prior to the install and then installing with ALLUSERS=1 ( or even for the saake of testing ALLUSERS=2 ) ?  

this will effect the msi installation protion of the install.  if you have any ca's you have to set their "type" to allow elevated installs...

groovyponens

groovyponens
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 17:22

thanks hambone, I did'nt know anything about this property. I have set it a value of '1', and now, I receive a different error message if i try to install with a non-admin user: 1607: error installing InstallShield Scripting Runtime

It seems that installer try to install isscript.msi and fails.

thanks one more time,
raul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 19:31

Did you try not to make a self extracting exe of your setup (use CD ROM media type instead for instance)

groovyponens

groovyponens
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 10:00

thanks, now I pass it and i don't receive that error!!, but, what's the matter with web release?. I want to create a unique file setup.exe because it will be downloaded from a web page.

well, we solved the last problem, but now, I get another one (will it finish in anytime?) installing with CDROM release. Setup crash at the middle of the progress with a error message (seems windows messagebox, no installshield window)  : "access denied in path c:\winnt\system32\servicename.InstallState", where servicename is the name of my service, and by design, it's a .Net installer component, do you know what's the matter now?, Does .net installer components run with 'elevated privileges' too?, is it considered a custom action and i have to change anything?, why is it so difficult?,

thanks very much,
raul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 10:09

For the single file exe: your setup files get extracted to a temp location and then setup s run from there. Therefore the user must have write access to that temp location. At this time the real setup isn't running yet, so no elevated privileges. You can use PackageForTheWeb (free download) to specify another extraction location, or let the user select.

I'm not sure about the .net installer component