This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installing as power user

3 replies to this topic

tsvare

tsvare
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 20:04

Hello,

I've got a setup that has a minor but very important maintenance mode.  I'm running into the following problem:

Admin installs version x.  Version x+1 is released.  Power user logs in and runs setup for version x+1.  The setup runs as a new install not maintenance mode.

Why does the setup even run for the power user?

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 03:44

First off, the setup even runs because Power Users have sufficient priveleges to access all of the files on a system and therefore can at least start an install.

It's not 'til you go to write HKCR or HKLM that things become inaccessible.  This may also explain why the setup is running as a new install.  'cause I'm assuming it works for Administrators.

However, you can easily make it NOT run for such users, by simply adding checks for proper Admin. priveleges during the OnBegin event.  To do so, simply call:

Code Sample
nResult = Is(USER_ADMINISTRATOR, "");

user posted image

tsvare

tsvare
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 17:13

Thank you for the quick response.

I'm in the unfortunate position of getting information second hand and there are times when things are not remembered quite right.

I have the piece of code you recommended running so I now believe the initial install did not terminate properly.

Thanks,
Tom

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 19:18

I follow ya, but you should have it in OnBegin and fail if that condition is not met.
user posted image