This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Updating a Service

3 replies to this topic

shippy

shippy
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 23:20

My question is two-fold: (1) In order to update a service, what kind of update should I perform (e.g. Major upgrade, Minor upgrade, or patch) and (2) How do I update this service if the service is currently running on the target machine?

I'm a newbie and I still don't have much of an understanding as to how these updates work. In Visual Studio, the default upgrade is a major upgrade I think (ProductCode and PackageCode are changed). What happens when you install this upgrade? Does the existing application get removed? Does it install on top of it? There are two entries in Add/Remove programs, I assume this is because it is considered a new product.

In my case though, I just want to upgrade the service, I don't want it to be considered a new product.

narapark

narapark
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 19:47

Major upgrade removes existing software before it carries out new installation. It is same process as the user uninstalls the existing software manually from Add/Remove applet and then install the later version, but for the major upgrade, the user does not need to uninstall manually. For Major upgrade, the package code and product code should be changed and the upgrade code should be identical between the two versions - I use this upgrade and personally find it the easiest and cleanest method of upgrading.

Minor upgrade does not uninstall the existing software but installs over the existing one. However, in order to perform minor upgrade, you have to follow number of rules - eg the component code should not be changed between the two versions.

Patches...I had endless problems with creating patches...and wasted so much time on them.

Hope this helps.

shippy

shippy
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 00:06

Is there a risk involved with the major upgrades then because it removes your existing and working program? Also, what happens to data that has been accumulated over the time the existing program has been running? How do you save that and keep it for the upgraded program?

Also, when would you use a minor upgrade as opposed to a major upgrade?

Thanks for your help.

narapark

narapark
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 11:07

>Is there a risk involved with the major upgrades then because it removes your >existing and working program?

Say, I have v1 software and want to do major upgrade install to v2. I do following steps:

1. Open version1 software project that is working correctly.

2. Do 'Save as...' and save this project with appropriate name (eg. version2)

3. Change the Package code and Product code of the version2 project. Upgrade code should be same as version 1. Enter the Upgrade code in the Upgrade Table in Direct Editor.

4. Make any changes that you want in version2 - eg. update files, add components..etc.

5. Build the project and test install on a PC. If successful, then do next step.

6. Install version1 of the software on a clean PC and then install version2 on the same PC. During version2 installation, the version1 software is completely removed (except the files you have set as 'permanent') and then version2 files become installed.