This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Best Practice: Multiple setups from one script

5 replies to this topic

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 03:50

I am creating multiple setup versions of a product from a single installation database. To do this I use release flags. This works well, and is easy to implement. However, even after performing tests I am not certain what the "best practice" here is to avoid patching and upgrade problems later. I see two main ways to create separate versions of a setup:

• "Cumulative features"
  • "Exclusive features"

Cumulative features would mean that I have one feature for shared components between all editions, and then special features with edition specific files.

Exlusive features would mean that I duplicate components in features that are either included or exluded from the build in question.

Here is an illustration:
user posted image

Any words of wisdom or warning?

Edited by Glytzhkof, 31 July 2003 - 03:51.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 08:37

This shouldn't make a difference. Assuming you are using separate product codes for the editions, you would have to build separate updates anyway.
"Cumulative features" could be an advantage when upgrading from trial to professional edition because the selection state of same named features can be preserved in a Major Upgrade. This would especially make sense if your "all editions" feature has some sub features that the user can select.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 16:26

Stefan, thanks for the answer. So I take it from your answer that there is now way I can create a single patch EXE that will target all editions?
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 17:38

You will not be able to create a single .msp that will patch all editions. You may be able to put several MSPs into one self extracting exe (with some aditional logic to select the correct msp)

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 00:03

Thanks yet again for excellent advice Stefan.

I discovered one plus for the "exclusive features" approach. Since my advertised shortcut is for the app.exe file, duplicating all files for each feature ensures that all files are properly self-repaired if they are deleted. If I put components in features without advertised shortcuts these are not automatically repaired if they are deleted from disk.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 21:06

I used "exclusive features" to implement these setups.

When trying to create patches I tried to add all prior 1.0.0 setups to the patch (professional and standard setups) just to see what would happen (Stefan already wrote above that this would not work).

What happened was that the patch was created just fine, and it targets both the 1.0.0 STD and 1.0.0 PRO editions, but when I apply it to the 1.0.0 STD installation I get PRO features installed. So there really is no other way than to create separate patches for separate editions (plus separate language versions sad.gif)
Regards
-Stein Åsmul