This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Create SQL Server Database, Tables e.t.c.

11 replies to this topic

Sunny_xms

Sunny_xms
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 16:22

How do I create SQL Server Database, Tables and so on with MSI?

Are any built-in MSI features to do this or I have to write a dll or script that will do this?

Thanx.

dcleous

dcleous
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 01:16

I would be interested to know if MSI can create what you are saying.

CreateDatabase...and other DB functions exposed by MSI are to create databases templates similar to MSI,if you want to install DB or create using SQL you might've to write your own CA's and schedule accordingly in the install.

What are you trying to do...I'm asking just out of curiosity?

Thanks,
L

Sunny_xms

Sunny_xms
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 09:44

Ok, in the other words I just wanna create a SQL Server Database and execute my own script upon it. This script will create SQL Server objects and fill them with some data.

So, I want to create SQL Server DB, not an MSI DB.

So, how can I do this?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 15:40

The next version of InstallShield will have ths capability.

Sunny_xms

Sunny_xms
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 15:57

That's nice! biggrin.gif

And what should I do now? You see, I do not really have enough time to wait for next InstallShield version. Till this time I'll probably lose my job. smile.gif))

dcleous

dcleous
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 16:00

You want to do this duing install? at what stage? I'm asking this because you might've to support roll-back too...

below is the link for SQL programming...if it might help:
http://msdn.microsof...g&lang=en&cr=US

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 16:13

QUOTE (Sunny_xms @ 2004-04-29 16:57)
That's nice! biggrin.gif

And what should I do now? You see, I do not really have enough time to wait for next InstallShield version. Till this time I'll probably lose my job. smile.gif))

You just have to wait until May 3. Please send me an e-mail for details.

Sunny_xms

Sunny_xms
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 16:35

You want to do this duing install? at what stage? I'm asking this because you might've to support roll-back too...

below is the link for SQL programming...if it might help:
http://msdn.microsof...g&lang=en&cr=US

Yeh, I want to do this during the installation. after copying files and registering dlls.

You see, "SQL programming" wan't help me. I know it well (MCP in 70-229). I'm about MSI, not SQL...

To tell the truth I just shocked by Microsoft with it's MSI "technology". Very bad documented, unstructured and so on... It seems so that MS do not really want that people use MSI wink.gif

Sunny_xms

Sunny_xms
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 18:21

A paper about this matter was found in MSDN recently:

http://msdn.microsof...nstallation.asp

May be there are someone else who had the similiar problem.

Thanx a lot, everybody!

huckey

huckey
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 00:26

Wise currently support this, but if you dont have it checkout WiRunSQL.vbs from the SDK.

It can do SQL create / queries. etc

philjeary

philjeary
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 17:07

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2004-04-29 15:40)
The next version of InstallShield will have ths capability.

I dont suppose you can point me in the right direction for doing this in DevStudio 9, when creating a basic MSI project? Or will I need to change my project?

Currently, it installs some components (mdac 2.6 etc), my App and MSDE. I'd like to be able to run some SQL to set up the user permissions on the newly installed MSDE.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 18:14

In DevStudio 9 you would create a ustom action that calls osql.exe to run your .sql script.
InstallSield X has this functionalty built in (and also suport for creaing that .sql file, and perfoming text replacements at install time)