This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How do I order ShortCuts??

5 replies to this topic

Bala

Bala
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 June 2001 - 02:47

How can we order short cuts that msi file creates? I dont find any index/order in which start up menus have to be created.

Joe Fegan

Joe Fegan
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 June 2001 - 10:53

I don't think you can. It seems to create them in any order it likes.

covadis

covadis
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:40

I read that it is possible?
No bodies for an answer?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:50

Depending on the OS version, the shortcut ordering is stored somewhere in registry. I wouldn't recommend manipulating it.

covadis

covadis
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 13:23

Thank you. That was not what I want to read, but this will be true rolleyes.gif

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 15:58

Indeed, users can change the ordering, current ordering is stored somewhere on the system.

However, a default ordering is also in effect. Depending on the OS, the default shortcut ordering is:
* Alpabetical on visible name (older, eg. Win95, maybe 98, NT 4)
* Oldest on top (newer, at least Win2000, WinXP)
Both can be manipulated by the installer: The visible name corresponds with the Name column of the Shortcut table.
The creation time is determined by the order in which the shortcuts are created. Windows Installer appears to sort the Shortcut table on the Shortcut column. So, on certain OSes the Shortcut column determines the order.
Note that when a MSM creates one or more shortcuts, the order gets quite random, during merging the Shortcut table (of the MSM) is mangled, leaving you hardly any control over the sort order.

BTW I think the defaults of the default sorting can be changed as well, think of default sorting of files on your desktop etc. Windows Shell is a tough subject.