This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Die Ressource "" ist nicht vorhanden.

3 replies to this topic

Torben

Torben
  • Full Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 19:44

Hi forum,

I get the following error (reported by a customer) in the event log:

Erkennung von Produkt "{SomeGUID}", Funktion "MySetupName" und Komponente "{SomeGUID}" fehlgeschlagen. Die Ressource "" ist nicht vorhanden.

(Sorry, i have just the german string. In english it should be like:
Detection of product '{SomeGUID}', feature 'MySetupName', component '{SomeGUID}' failed. The resource "" does not exist)

So my problem is really, why the resource, which is missed, is not named. The quotation marks at the end are empty, so I have no idea, why.

After this message, a repair is initiated and with the guids I can figure out the component which is responsible for this issue. But this component is available on the system, as the msi-log sais:

MSI (s) (34:28) [14:46:21:223]: Component: MyComponent; Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Null

I have no idea, what is going on there. Can anybody direct me on the right track? I'm digging in the dirt...

Thank you very much,
Torben

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:57

What's the key path of that component? A file, registry entry or none specified (which means the folder will be used)?

Torben

Torben
  • Full Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:23

Hi Stefan,

thank you for replying.

The key path is a file. And the first place in the msi log, where this component is mentioned, is the line I posted:

MSI (s) (34:28) [14:46:21:223]: Component: MyComponent; Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Null

But I got some more information from the customer. He had an earlier version of this software installed. The component has some regkeys, for example we generate COM interop keys for this NET assembly. It is allowed to overinstall a new version which will replace the file itself and updates the regkeys. Maybe the customers tool (I have no further details, but his tool uses our file) tries to get the older version which is not available anymore.

I try to get more info,

Regards,
Torben

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 13:35

This means that the component has been installed, and therefore Windows Installer will check if it is intact, by checking the key path. Usually the "resource missing" message indicates that the key path (in this case: the file) is missing, e.g. has been deleted by the user, and needs to be repaired.

I don't know why the string indicationg the missing resource is empty.

Can you get more context from the event log? What action triggered the message? Was it the launching of your application?