This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

App installing to userprofile

8 replies to this topic

Steve55

Steve55
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 18:49

Hi All:

I have an app which installs to C:\Documents and Settings\%userprofile%\Application Data

AllUsers property is 1 for this app and it installs and works fine for an administrator. This app has no shorcuts. Its a plug-in. User cannot install this app because Allusers=1 and when an adminstrator installs this, all the files get copied to Adminstrator profile in the C:\Documents and Settings and regular users wont have access to this folder (of course). How can I handle this problem.

Thanks,

Steve

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 15:41

You would have to copy the files to a location where all users have read access, not to the administrator's profile. For instance the [CommonAppDataFolder] .

Steve55

Steve55
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 14:50

Thanks Stefan, I tried that but the application does not work when the files are copied to CommAppDataFolder (C:\Documents and Setings\Allusers\Application Data). It only works with the files in AppDataFolder.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 20:58

Then you would have to copy the files to each user's app data folder.

mikemio

mikemio
  • Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 17:13

I have similar problem/question ( I hope it is ok to join in here)

I have added user data files (a user dictionary in my case) to the user's application data folder by putting it in AppDataFolder.

This seems to work and the files are copied into a new user's appdata (e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\SomeUser\Application Data\CompanyName\) when the program is first lauched by that user.

But... I am a using the Visual Studio Intaller and it gives me a warning about this. Specifially it says: "WARNING: File should not be installed into a User's Profile folder because it may not be available to all users."

Also, it appears to require that the msi package be available at the time the new user first runs the program.

So ... I guess that I am doing this incorrectly but I cannot see another way to do it.

It that the correct way to get user data into that folder?

Should such a file be placed somewhere else?

Is it normal to require that the msi package be available when each user first launches? That seems like it could cause problems. It also seems to need the package during unistall (although that may be a side effect of something else) which could really cause problems for customers who may move or delete the package.

Any suggestions or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:47

It is my personal opinion that a setup should not install any files to the userprofile folders at all (unless it is a setup specifically designed for per-user installations). It is OK to install to folders shared for all users, but not to install into each user's profile. It is generally better practice to copy the data that needs to go into the user path to a per machine location. Then you can have the main application copy the data to the user profile on launch.

I base this opinion on the fact that userprofile files are:
...difficult to update
...difficult to uninstall
...very difficult to patch
...may cause unexpected self-repair operations
...very often can be installed as shared appdata rather than per user data
...etc...

As to your questions: yes, the MSI must be either cached on the system or available on a network share for the file copy to run correctly per user using MSI self repair.

Suggestion:
%ProgramFiles%\YourCompany\YourApp\App.exe
%ProgramFiles%\YourCompany\YourApp\UserData\*.*

The UserData folder contains all the data that you want to add to the user profile. The App.exe file copies the files in UserData to each userprofile on launch, and then sets a flag in HKCU to indicate that the copy was already performed. You can patch these UserData files in your next setup since they are read-only reference files. You could then also update App.exe to copy updated files to the user profile if need be.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

mikemio

mikemio
  • Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 15:29

Thanks for such a detailed response!

The idea of copying to the user profile on each user's first launch sounds like a good way to do it.

I wonder though, how it should be removed on unsintall. Is the usual way to use a custom Action (is that even possible?)or is it acceptable to just leave data there. I my case, the user dictionaries contain a predefined list and so may never be changed. But if they user wants to add a word they will be changed.

Also, in the case of .hlp files, ideally I would like to place the .hlp, .cnt and a zero length .gid in the application's common user data so they can all be removed on uninstall but my understanding of the common user data is that only the owner of a file can write to it. So, I think that a user may not be able to generate the .gid file (depending on who launched the help search first) but it does not seem sensible to copy all the help files to each users data folder. Do have any thoughts about that?

cheers,
Mike

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 04:30

Any data installed to the userprofile folder should by definition be user data. As such it shouldn't need to be uninstalled (you don't want to uninstall the user's data in case the app is reinstalled). I don't think it is a big problem to leave these files behind. In most cases the problem you will encounter is that sometimes you would like to overwrite files in the userprofile (bug fixes, legal compliance etc...). In cases like these it is good to use the App.exe to do the copy since you can do conditional copying based on whatever criteria you want: overwrite all files with this file name, overwrite files that are unchanged etc...).

As to the help file: I would install it to %ProgramFiles%, the reason being that many application executables bind directly to the help file file name and F1 might not work unless the help file and the exe are in the same folder. I think Windows XP may have a feature to allow the creation of the .gid file even if the user does not have write access to the folder in question.

My rules of thumb for deployment are:
* If it can be set read-only and things still work it is not user data - install to program files
* Any executable goes to %ProgramFiles% (EXE, DLL, OCX, etc... NO exceptions). If there are executables in the userprofile the application design is wrong in my opinion, but many plugins require this
* If it is user data that should not be uninstalled, but does not need to be changed (templates etc..), install to shared app data
* If it is user data that needs to be changed by the user, install to %ProgramFiles%\Userdata and copy to user profile on launch (beware of roaming profiles vs local profiles in this scenario - the copy may need to happen several times if the user logs into multiple machines with local profiles)

Just my subjective opinions.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

mikemio

mikemio
  • Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 05:18

Ok, thanks again for such details. I am trying to get my head around all this installer stuff and those guidelines will help a lot. I can see that I will problably be back when I get into the issue of upgrades.

Mike