This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to deplay HCU registry for all new users

6 replies to this topic

ashtor

ashtor
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 14:27

Hi,

How is the best way to deploy registry entery for all new users that login to the computer. The problem is that there is no .exe file for starting the program, only ex. explorer.exe /N, ::{4577EA30-A1DF-11D0-BA3E-00A024746296}

When another user other then the user who installed the program the settings are not installed!

Anyone that has any good idé?

Tore Andre Asheim

Edited by ashtor, 29 July 2004 - 14:27.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 14:36

Hei Tore. The best way is to have the application executable populate the registry per user. However, it is also possible to set a component with a keypath to HKCU. when you do this the installer will repair these keys when an entry point is accessed. An entry point can be a com server, an advertised shortcut, advertised file associations etc... if you describe the application a little more someone may be able to propose a better way to achieve what you want.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 14:37

Sorry, forget what i wrote above, I mixed up the forums yet again dry.gif . What i wrote above applies to windows installer projects.

Stefan, is there a way to delete a post?

Edited by Glytzhkof, 29 July 2004 - 14:38.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

ashtor

ashtor
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 14:39

Hi,

Thanks, but can i have a keypath to a .dll file as well and as soon as some program is using this the MSI package will fix it?

PS! I am using Install Shield Adminstudio 5.5 Pro

PS! Thanks for fast respond!

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 14:51

Oh, you are in the wrong forum then smile.gif.

In principle you can have a component with a HKCU registry key path, which also installs a file to a per user location %USERPROFILE%\*.*. This is not a good design but it should work on most systems. It will fail on Windows servers with terminal services enabled, I believe you can prevent installation on these systems using (Not Terminalserver) as a launch condition (check the property spelling).

Edited by Glytzhkof, 29 July 2004 - 14:53.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 14:56

Stefan has an article about this issue: http://www.installsi...ifaq/a/1011.htm
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Petch

Petch
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 10:21

Instant classic:

1. Write this value for your registry table. "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\[ProductCode]StubPath msiexec /fup [ProductCode]"

2. Then write a .vbs file that writes these registry entries and set the type for the custom action to 1030. Add this to your InstallExecuteSequence before InstallFinalize action.

After admin install the MSI will run the repair for each user on first logon only and write those registry keys.