This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSDE2000 and SQLS2000 Service Pack 1

1 reply to this topic

Rastislav Zima

Rastislav Zima
  • Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 June 2001 - 08:07

On Microsoft site about MSDE2000 MSM problems (Q274224, Q275309, Q281184) I have red that these problems are fixed in the SQL Server Service Pack 1.
I have downloaded the service pack but there are no MSM-s inside.
Should I apply service pack on old MSM-s to update them, and if so - how should I do that?

hteichert

hteichert
  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 July 2001 - 08:58

I had a lot of problems with MSDE, too. Especially there's a problem where to get fixed merge modules for MSDE, because the hotfix is not available anymore since the release of SP1 for SQL server 2000 (officially, but asking a lot helps ...).
After contacting Microsoft I got the following reply (I asked them if they would allow me to post it - it' ok):
Here's a short translation in english first, the original german answer of MS is appended at the end)

The service pack for the desktop engine is available in three different ways:

1. The SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 1 CD:
This CD contains all files, to update all already existing instances of desktop engine. The maximum count of instances supported by desktop engine is 16. This CD does not contain merge modules or .msi files to install a full SP1 refresh on a new system.

2. The SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 1 Download:  
This package contains an upgrade for the instance of desktop engine, if the instance was created with sqlrun01.msi.
The download does not contain merge modules or .msi files to install a full SP1 refresh on a new system. It also does not contain .msi files to update instances of desktop engine created with sqlrun02.msi - sqlrun16.msi.
Details can be found under "Limitation to Applying Service Pack from Download".    

3. The SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine Service Pack 1 CD:  
This CD contains all files required to update existing instances of desktop engine. Furtheron the CD contains the merge modules and .msi files to install a full SP1 refresh on a new system. This CD will be made available for developers creating applications for the desktop engine. You can find further details in books online in "Merging the Desktop Engine into Windows Installer".
Merge modules are the suggested way to install and deploy MSDE Upgrades. The SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine Service Pack 1 CD does not contain a service pack for SQL server neither for analysis services. The SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine Service Pack 1 CD is available via MSDN.

As MSDN subscriber you will probably get this CD with a regular CD-delivery. The release date is still undetermined. This infomation is given without engagement, because MSDN is not directly connected with technical support.

Currently use the files from the hotfix like:
1. Copy the files from the SQL server CD-ROM to new a directory (the files from cdrom:\msde\msm and cdrom:\msde\msm\1033).
2. Replace some of the copied files with their Hotfix versions.
3. In your Installer Project point to this new directory, to add the merge modules, instead of SQL CD-ROM.

--- Original german ---
Das Service Pack für die Desktop Engine kommt auf dreierlei Arten:
1. Die SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 1 CD:
Diese enthält alle Dateien, um bestehende Instanzen der Desktop Engine zu aktualisieren. Die maximale Zahl von Instanzen, die für die Desktop Engine unterstützt wird, beträgt 16. Dies CD enthält nicht Merge Module oder .msi Dateien, um ein volles SP1 Refresh auf einem neuen System zu installieren.
2. Das SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 1 Download:  
Diese enthält ein Upgrade für eine Instanz der Desktop Engine, wenn diese Instanz mit sqlrun01.msi erzeugt wurde.
Der Download enthält keine Merge Module oder .msi Dateien, um ein volles SP1 Refresh auf einem neuen System zu installieren. Er enthält auch keine .msi Dateien, um Instanzen der Desktop Engine zu aktualisieren, die mit sqlrun02.msi - sqlrun16.msi erstellt wurden.
Einzelheiten finden Sie unter "Limitation to Applying Service Pack from Download".    
3. Die SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine Service Pack 1 CD:  
Diese enthält alle Dateien, die erforderlich sind, um bestehende Instanzen der Desktop Engine zu aktualisieren. Zusätzlich enthält diese CD die Merge Module und .msi Dateien um ein volles SP1 Refresh auf einem neuen System zu installieren. Diese CD wird Developern zur Verfügung gestellt, die Anwendungen für die Desktop Engine herstellen. Weitere Einzelheiten finden Sie in den Books Online unter "Merging the Desktop Engine into Windows Installer".
Merge Module sind der empfohlene Weg, um MSDE Upgrades zu installieren und zu verteilen. Die SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine Service Pack 1 CD enthält kein Service Pack für SQL Server oder Analysis Services. Die SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine Service Pack 1 CD ist über MSDN erhältlich.

Wahrscheinlich werden Sie als MSDN Abonnent eine reguläre CD-Lieferung mit dieser CD erhalten. Das Release Datum steht derzeit noch nicht fest. Da MSDN unmittelbar mit dem technischen Support nicht zusammenhängt, können wir hierfür jedoch keine Gewähr übernehmen.

Zwischenzeitlich können Sie die Dateien aus dem Hotfix wie folgt verwenden:
1. Kopieren Sie die Dateien von der SQL Server CD-ROM in ein neues Verzeichnis (die Dateien aus cdrom:\msde\msm und cdrom:\msde\msm\1033).
2. Ersetzen einiger der kopierten Dateien durch deren Hotfix-Version.
3. Im Installer Project verweisen Sie auf dieses neue Verzeichnis, um die Merge Module hinzuzufügen, anstelle der SQL CD-ROM.
--- Original german ---